FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
EJ 20 splitty panel van.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Completed Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ping
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: EJ 20 splitty panel van. Reply with quote

Finally my conversion is finished!
Its a 1965 splitscreen panel van now fitted with a 2liter legacy n/a engine.
The wiring was done by RJES which i can not reccomend ENOUGH as is is very good. I have also bought the throttle cable and fuel pump from RJES.

The engine i attached to the beetle AT code gearbox by a Kenedy adaptor plate and flywheel, organic clutch with a stage 3 pressure plate. I fitted a heavy duty realese arm kit from bugpack to the box but other than that its a stock box.

The cooling is taken care of with the legacy rad and its 2 fans belly mounted with a sheet metal air scoop. The expansion tank is the tried and tested Vauxhall frontera tank. Pipe work is silicone elbows and some flexi pipe and 38mm od ally pipe.

The exhaust is a combination of subaru header and pipe cut and shut all going to the mondo muffler that was on the old engine in the van, the Lambda sensor is fitted to just before the muffler and its all wrapped in exhaust tape to try and keep heat away from pipes and the engine etc.

The fuel tank outlet pipe has been increased from 4mm to 8mm copper and a fuel return pipe 8mm has been brazed to the top of the tank.

The van runs very well at the moment but does need alot more testing.
Ground clearance is not the best but really no worse than when it was lawn mower, if i make any changes it will be to the exhaust and the sump and maybe the air scoop! Time will tell if these are going to be major problems.

The conversion costs are;
Subaru - 300 minus 290 from the shell and ebaying parts = 10
Wiring conversion - 150
Fuel pump and filter - 90 (i think)
throttle cable - 40
HT leads and coilpack -150
Water pump - 25
expansion tank - 20
Pipes and clips -100 ish
Exhaust wrap - 40
Steel for engine bar, shock mounts, rad support - 20 as some was free and scrounged!
+ IRS conversion, type 3 rear brakes, time (just mine), paint etc.
Minus whatever i sell the old lawnmowere engine and splitty box for!

Pics-

http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz193/fatboyping/Splitty/

Many thanks to the peole from vwkd for advice when needed especially Kia for the MAF sensor help. Also thanks to RJES fot the wiring and other bits and occasional problem brain storming!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Completed Conversions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: