FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Fuel Tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
APS
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Hello,

Im new to the site and am currently converting my 66 Split Van to Subaru power Grin I am nearly ready to fit the gearbox and engine but have been told I need to move the petrol tank a couple of inches inside the cargo area, does this sound correct or are there other clever ways to get round it ?

Thanks,

Adam.
Neil-C
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

welcome aboard.

Which engine and box are you using?

I also have a 66 runing a 2.2 subaru and my way around the tank problem was to junk the original and use the Legacy tank under the back seat. As I also used the Legacy loom it made things much easyer to wire and the pump is included. It frees up a lot of space in the engine compartment, part of which I used for the leasure batterie, but less storage in the cabin.

If you do go with moving the original back a couple of inches you will have to re work the bulkhead.

Neil.
APS
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil-C hello. I am going to be running a 2.0 turbo with a custom made box from bears motorsport.

I am trying not to lose space in the cargo area as next winter I will be putting in a camping interior. I had thought of getting a custom made fuel tank that is thinner but taller and putting a firewall between it and the engine ?

Im still not 100% sure why you have to move the tank, is it because of the Intercooler ?

Thanks,

Adam.
type2subaru
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hi mate i am running a 65 splitty with a 2.2 subaru with a 1303s gearbox which has been lifted close to the tank , and i am running a large (American) fuel tank and there is a gap between the air intake pipe and the fuel tank,but the last bay i did had the coil packs removed and a square hole cut where thet were then the inlet manifold butterfly was removed and put on top where the colis were and the inlet hole manifold was welded up,it sounds complicated but it is ok if you have an alloy welder.I have heard that you can take the manifold off and turn it around but don`t quote me on this one as i have not done this.
check out link below for pictures of conversion

http://www.myspace.com/type2subaru
APS
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes I have heard you can swivel the manifold round 180 degrees. I think I will fit the engine then see how it all fits, will post photos done .

Adam.
doppelganger
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can turn the manifold round but then you will have to reroute turbo pipes etc and move alternator to one side ,but can be done Grin

vwdrc AE bugjam winner
11.23@127mph. 1.47 60ft. 2.85sec 0-60mph
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an early bay with Ej20 turbo....which apart from having a firewall is not vastly different. There are a number of issues here......The main reasons fro moving the tank is clearance of the turbo and also clearance for the inlet - however there are also a few other things to consider alongside. In both cases the clearances are tight - but there are a number of solutions:

Turbo clearance: this can be achieved by pushing the original tank forward slightly - I have done this (see kool rides -time for anoher update thread)
alternatively you could consider a differnet tank - i was originally thinking of using a vw polo tank - but there are a number of other slimmer tanks out there and even alloy ones available off the shelf or as custom - its down to how much you want to spend and how 'original' you want it to look.
you other option of course is to make a different manifold and relocate the turbo...this has been done by www.vwrx.com

at a slight tangent to this - you could do what neil-c has done and use the subaru tank not only for turbo clearance reasons though - there is another very good reason for this...its cheap for a better end result....with the turbo if you use the og split tank you will need a return(easy enough), swirl pot (£80), external pump (£50-100)- the price of which all mounts up....using the subaru tank you have the pump in the tank, easily replacable parts, etc etc. and you can buy subaru tanks complete with pumps and senders for IRO £50. no swirl pot required. UNfortunaly the subaru tank is not a very useful shape......so what I have done is graft the subaru pump into the VW tank (again see my thread in kool rides). I retained the original VDO sender as im running VDO porsche guages but the option is there to use the subaru one if you like. ON the whole for the cost of some TIG welding and a subaru tank its a better end result which doesnt waste cabin space and also with it moved forward an inch and raised slightly gives ample turbo clearance.

INlet - as has already been mentioned - you can reverse the manifold etc but if you go with the smaller /moved tank option above this obv wont be neccesary. Dont worry about the intercooler - ditch it and use a chargecooler - this will take the whole location issue out of the equation.

oops seem to have rambled on a bit!
APS
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Rich the idea of fitting a subaru pump into the existing fuel tank sounds interesting, will look into that (don't suppose you would consider converting mine, obviously for a fee Grin ).

Thanks,

Adam.
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what mine looked like.....

note also that the subaru baffles have been grafted inside.

I have to admit that it was a bit of a VWKD team effort adn I cant take the credit - the idea came from Ricola and i got my mate Jace to TIG weld it for me since I can only MIG weld. I had a flange drawn up and water jet cut by AlexFTS on here. He probably still got the drawings if you ask him. I dont have the right programme to open them on my computer.

I can ask Jace if hes interested in doing another tank if you like but I know hes pretty busy with other things at the moment. I also had the original outlet in the bottom removed.

ONe thing I would say is measure everything carefully as i had to do some other surgery to make it all fit.....i made my shelf 1/4 inch too high...

see this thread for the whole story....
http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=254&start=108
APS
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,, thanks for the offer I will have a think about it. I need to spend a bit of time researching all the possibilites and then make a decision, hoping to have it on the road for the 2nd May Bank holiday Grin

Adam.
Nath
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: swirl pot Reply with quote

richbaker78 wrote:
if you use the og split tank you will need a return(easy enough), swirl pot (£80), external pump

Hi, im putting a non turbo ej20 in my oval and want to keep og tank. I already have external pump, and the return isnt a prob, but is a swirl pot essential?
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a non turbo it is not essential.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Subaru Power All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: