FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Golf diesel power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steamo
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Golf diesel power Reply with quote

I've been told that if I use a Bay gearbox, a T25 bellhousing and a golf diesel engine then I do not need any adapter plates. Does anyone have any more specific info about the exact parts.

Will a 1600 bay gearbox work
Which T25 bell housing is required (air/water cooled)
Are the Mk2 Golf diesel engines suitable

Cheers
Simon
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi steamo - I saw that thread on Vzi too......
from my understanding it is possible using the t25 watercooled diesel bellhousing but you can only use the earlier type golf diesels (ie a modern tdi wont fit)- however what you do for starters/flywheels I have no idea. But I do know it mounts the engine so its leaning over a fair bit - not a problem but looks abit weird.

With any upgraded engine as said in other threads I would try an use the 2ltr box for the improved ratios

golf diesels - very basic diesels really - dont know anything bad about em

have friend who knows a bit more - Ill pick his brains and post. Likewise make sure you let us know anything you find out.
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not using the diesel option but a GTI instead but does tell you the basics of fitting golf engine in a t25. It will be pretty much the same in the bay but you obviously need to do a bit more plumbing. im pretty sure that all the vw bellhousings are interchangeable onto any basic box as my RJES bellhousing was designed for t25 box but fits the t2 box perfectly.

A relatively simple swap is to go from WBX or diesel to I4 VAG group engines. These have been fitted to a bewildering array of VAG group vehicles and are available in many different flavours, most notably in this instance in 1.8 and 2.0 8V fuel injected configuration.

+ Fantastic parts availability, engines are cheap and robust, improved economy over WBX engines, conversions donít need much in the way of custom parts, much keener to rev - Not as smooth as a WBX, not as much low torque

I4 engines can be fitted using T25 diesel mounting bars, waterpipes, sump, gearbox bellhousing, oil pump pick up and clutch etc. A key issue in this conversion is the intake manifold Ė this fouls the chassis rail on a bus, when the engine is mounted at 50degrees. To get around this issue I recommend light impact adjustment on the chassis rail.

The installation is not difficult, but depends on what parts and facilities you have to work with.

Do you have the following from a diesel T25?

Gearbox bellhousing mounting bars sump diesel input shaft, or grinder to cut the WBX shaft down waterhousings for head and water pump full set of water pipes clutch flywheel bellhousing tinware

Do you have the following facilities?

Bunch of spanners and sockets torque wrench Engine hoist axle stands welder and exhaust tubing (or ability to put up with 20bhp loss of power caused by running the JX turbo with the guts removed and then plated over) Big hammer the confidence to beat one of your chassis rails with the big hammer A multimeter and some basic wiring skillz, innit

If you've got all that then you're probably fit to go on a GTI conversion. The only big gotchas are knowing you need to fit a diesel spiggot bearing in the end of the crank and that you don't tighten the diesel sump bolts until you've attached the gearbox to the engine, or you can pull one end of the sump off.

SOunds like youd better get yourself a diesel gearbox. Jase (in whos who) has a GTI engine in his 70 bus - really flys along.
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i even found you some stuff..........

Good early T3 / T25 Diesel Gearbox (from an X plate) so should go into any Air cooled T3 van without much hassle... and The engine support bars to match... a sump, oil pickup, Alternator mount, diesel pump, and oil filler tube, Useful for putting a Diesel engine (or maybe something petrol from a golf etc?) into your early T3... Much easier than mucking around with the later stuff! £275 for the lot...Will split the parts if not sold in 1 week.

http://www.partsemporium.co.uk/T2%20Parts.htm
splittyman69
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: convesion td Reply with quote

hi matey im unsure about a t25 bell houseing fitting a bay gearbox but i fitted a tdi in my splitty before i upgraded ,main probs was keeping the bugger cool ,due to the air pressure from the turbo was making it run hotter,as i had mine runing at 2.0barr and upratted my std turbo to a pd150 varible /upratted injectors and removed my fly by wire pump and fitted a differnert type went well ,a few pictures here ,but yours will be on a slint useing ur t25 diesal engine mounts 215mm flywheel and clutch ,sump and oil pickup pipes (unless your fitting it in a bay ,then its slighty easyer,,use a mk1 golf flywheel 200mm and clutch and a 12mm adaptorplates fits up nice ?(rover 218 rad and fan dose the joby
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
doppelganger
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a t25 bell housing goes straight on a bay gearbox Grin

vwdrc AE bugjam winner
11.23@127mph. 1.47 60ft. 2.85sec 0-60mph
splittyman69
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidy matey u shud be able to use the 215mm flywheel and clutch then makes it a easyerjoby (tyr vzi forium if u carnt get anything sorted Grin
doppelganger
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i have a spare bell housing,no bits on it though

vwdrc AE bugjam winner
11.23@127mph. 1.47 60ft. 2.85sec 0-60mph
rusty69bus
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qoute - it is possible using the t25 watercooled diesel bellhousing but you can only use the earlier type golf diesels (ie a modern tdi wont fit)- however what you do for starters/flywheels I have no idea. But I do know it mounts the engine so its leaning over a fair bit.

to change the angle of lean, would it be easier to make a spacer plate between bellhousing and box.
(just thinking out loud)
splitbusvanatic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go ahead with the TDI into the split...
I'm considering this myself...
Thanks,
D.C.

(..Great site BTW Guys..)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Volks Power All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: