FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
1972 Baywindow Camper with 1600 Diesel Golf/Caddy/T25 engine

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Completed Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: 1972 Baywindow Camper with 1600 Diesel Golf/Caddy/T25 engine Reply with quote

Vehicle & model: Baywindow - Devon poptop
Year: 1972

Engine details:
Engine: 1982-83 vw caddy/golf engine, fitted using T25 sump/oil pickup(i hope done by previous owner!) T25 engine mounts

Inlet: golf TDi mk4 inlet manifold/cone filter/home made adaptor for filter.

Exhaust: Golf GTi Exhaust manifold, needs tiny clearance to clear t25 engine mount, golf 16v downpipes.

T25 Bell housing on bay gearbox, converted to cable clutch using late beetle clutch release arm, fits straight onto T25 operating shaft.

Stater motor is a stock T25 turned 180 degrees holes opened out slightly and an opening cut on the opposite side leaving as much material as possible leaving a 1/2" thick support bar between the starter body and the nose support bearing..

MPG: 220 mile tested journey, 43mpg @ 50-55mph as low as 32mpg
1/4 mile time: less than a week
0-60: eventually
Top speed: currently untested maximum speed, have had my speedo reading about 80mph (which is about 73-4mph) probably would go faster but i have yet to test it.
Cooling system details: 2 x 1300 golf mk2 radiators fitted to a frame mounted between the chassis rails with scoop(scoop has sides on now unlike in the following pictures).

front radiator has 2 x R6 fans(8amps max drawn when they come on) and single speed fan switch on rad, rear radiator as a peugeot 205 1.6GTi 'GATE' fan mounted in a rover 800 fan housing (1 of 2) needs minor mods to fit, connected to a 2 speed switch(single speed connected, have yet to see it get that hot the 2nd fan comes on, may need a new switch). both radiators have relays/fuses connected to an overide switch as a fail safe, both have panel lights to show when each set of fans is active.

T4 Header tank mounted on bracket next to alternator...

Heater is a mk2 golf heater matrix in a box mounted infront of the radiator pack connected to the original pipe work from the front jacking points forward to use original style heat outlets in the cab..

Pipework is 2 types, rubber and aluminium. aluminium pipework is 19mm for the heater and 32mm for the radiators. rubber pipe work is a combination of new 19mm for some of the heater system and then using 1 complete golf GTi radiator hose set (all engine hoses) and one complete T25 petrol(waterboxer engine) hose set, it provides enough 90 deg bends and bits to do the job.

most of the stuff I have listed here is all the hard stuff I had to find out taking alot of time.

Other non conversion mods:
Custom interior: electric grey leather front seats from rover 800, full width rock and roll bed, all padded panels.
Suspension: lowered on cut and welded front beam with ky gasadjust shocks, 1 spline rear with stock shocks
Wheels: 16x7.5 ET42 Merc E class wheels 205/45R16 fronts 225/55 R16 rears.

Approx cost of conversion: somewhere arround 500 I think. Engine I traded for a set of wheels, T25 gearbox/bellhousing cost me about 80, pipework and hose clips came to prob about 200, must have used something like 60-70 jubilee clips! rads where about 15-20 each on ebay, r6 fans about 10-15 each. most individual items were 10-25 quid as i was on a budget

Personal details:
Email: Bugsymalone666@hotmail.com
Core suppliers/ links that you found useful:
Most parts bought of ebay, some of Volkszone.com(thats where i sourced my engine from) pipe clipes/fuel hose/rubber heater hose and a few other bits from this ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Auto-Performance-Silicone-Hoses_Rubber-Vacuum-Hose_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3005714QQftidZ2QQtZkm cheapest place I have found hoseclips (ace standard hose clips were what i bought) and buying lots with them saves money on postage if you ask them to calculate postage before paying them.

Doing Thing Differently.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Completed Conversions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: