FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

  ads
VR6 Bay

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Volks Power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
alanwesty
Wannabe
Wannabe


Joined: 25 Oct 2009
Posts: 4
Location: amble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: VR6 Bay Reply with quote

everyone wants to go the subaru route, in the interests of keeping it VW why is a VR6 not a popular route?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sven
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 814

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because EJ's fits in the in the compartment without modifications, and it's a light weight engine. Besides that they usually have a decent price tag.

But there are other conversions out there as well, if you have a VR6 go for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alanwesty
Wannabe
Wannabe


Joined: 25 Oct 2009
Posts: 4
Location: amble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cuz has a vr6 sharan rotting away in his back yard , i dont think it would take to much cash to have him part with it, and apart from the alternator it is sweeet.
looking around on here , it has been mentioned as a conversion but not to any great extent , so not much in the way of info or photos to find out what is needed in the shopping list help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sven
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 814

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a bunch of Chevy V6 conversion in the states, and they are bigger than the VR6 so it's not a problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
13 window deluxe
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 861
Location: chesterfield derbyshire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanwesty wrote:
my cuz has a vr6 sharan rotting away in his back yard , i dont think it would take to much cash to have him part with it, and apart from the alternator it is sweeet.
looking around on here , it has been mentioned as a conversion but not to any great extent , so not much in the way of info or photos to find out what is needed in the shopping list help

the vr6 is big, heavy and not that reliable and very thirsty the only good thing about them is there cheap thats for a good reason! audi gave the engine to vw after spending millions developing it as even they thought it was rubbish Laugh Out Loud
_________________
1964 rat 13 window deluxe 1Z tdi,
1975 rhd twin slider tintop (TBA)
1991 golf 2 gti with tweaked AHU tdi,

previous tdi swaps: gone but not forgotten
1979 rhd twin slider tintop bay ahu 1.9tdi
1990 T25 1Z 1.9tdi
1993 suzuki samurai with 1Z 1.9tdi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alanwesty
Wannabe
Wannabe


Joined: 25 Oct 2009
Posts: 4
Location: amble

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the vr6 is big, heavy and not that reliable and very thirsty the only good thing about them is there cheap thats for a good reason! audi gave the engine to vw after spending millions developing it as even they thought it was rubbish Laugh Out Loud


so what is the engine of choice ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sven
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 814

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree on that, I think the VR6 is pretty good engine for its size and I have a bunch of friends that have the engine in their Transporter/Caravelle's and they're very satisfied.

Yes, it's heavy compared to a 2.5 litre 4 cyl engine, but they have bigger volume and compared to other V6's it's not heavy. A Chevy small block V6 is about ~200 kg, the VR6 is ~140.

Audi didn't give something away. VW-group did the engine together. And if it's that bad, why is it then still in production? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
13 window deluxe
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 861
Location: chesterfield derbyshire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven wrote:
I don't agree on that, I think the VR6 is pretty good engine for its size and I have a bunch of friends that have the engine in their Transporter/Caravelle's and they're very satisfied.

Yes, it's heavy compared to a 2.5 litre 4 cyl engine, but they have bigger volume and compared to other V6's it's not heavy. A Chevy small block V6 is about ~200 kg, the VR6 is ~140.

Audi didn't give something away. VW-group did the engine together. And if it's that bad, why is it then still in production? Wink


the vr6 wouldnt be that bad weight wise in a t25 as the van has bettr wight distribution but i would be cautious in a bay

the vr6 is as heavy as a vw tdi which can make the same amout of torque with abit of tuning and does twice as much to the gallon if you want a vee engine get a rover v8 all alloy very light and tunable

what vw is still in production with a 12valve vr6 2.8 engine?
_________________
1964 rat 13 window deluxe 1Z tdi,
1975 rhd twin slider tintop (TBA)
1991 golf 2 gti with tweaked AHU tdi,

previous tdi swaps: gone but not forgotten
1979 rhd twin slider tintop bay ahu 1.9tdi
1990 T25 1Z 1.9tdi
1993 suzuki samurai with 1Z 1.9tdi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sven
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 814

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 window deluxe wrote:
sven wrote:
I don't agree on that, I think the VR6 is pretty good engine for its size and I have a bunch of friends that have the engine in their Transporter/Caravelle's and they're very satisfied.

Yes, it's heavy compared to a 2.5 litre 4 cyl engine, but they have bigger volume and compared to other V6's it's not heavy. A Chevy small block V6 is about ~200 kg, the VR6 is ~140.

Audi didn't give something away. VW-group did the engine together. And if it's that bad, why is it then still in production? Wink


the vr6 wouldnt be that bad weight wise in a t25 as the van has bettr wight distribution but i would be cautious in a bay

the vr6 is as heavy as a vw tdi which can make the same amout of torque with abit of tuning and does twice as much to the gallon if you want a vee engine get a rover v8 all alloy very light and tunable

what vw is still in production with a 12valve vr6 2.8 engine?


Both Toureg, Passat CC have it, and Phaeton had it as well. And of course not as a 12 valve, just becuase you and me drives old technology - the rest of the world doesn't have to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
13 window deluxe
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 861
Location: chesterfield derbyshire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 12valve head was always the worst bit of the vr6, in my opinion there are better engines than the vr6 if you want power go scooby or golf 20vt if you want economy go vw td/tdi or pug diesel
_________________
1964 rat 13 window deluxe 1Z tdi,
1975 rhd twin slider tintop (TBA)
1991 golf 2 gti with tweaked AHU tdi,

previous tdi swaps: gone but not forgotten
1979 rhd twin slider tintop bay ahu 1.9tdi
1990 T25 1Z 1.9tdi
1993 suzuki samurai with 1Z 1.9tdi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bansheelos
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive


Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 10
Location: JerZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a VR in my bay and I love the thing lol yes I just resurrected this thread lol
_________________
We've got huevos!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TonzMagonz
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive


Joined: 26 Oct 2013
Posts: 17
Location: Melbourne Australia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine in a splitscreen before removing to fit an R32..
Very happy with how it performed.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Volks Power All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
NOT SO
SHABBY
INTERIORS
CLICK ME



ads

VanMonst

VWHERT



NOT SO
SHABBY
INTERIORS
CLICK ME



ads


ads

ads


CarBuilderSolutions





ads