FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
1967 Split Screen with AAZ engine.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulH
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: 1967 Split Screen with AAZ engine. Reply with quote

Vehicle & model: Split Screen Van

Year: 1967

Engine details: 1900 Turbo Diesel (AAZ) - Donor vehicle 1993 Mk 3 Golf GL

MPG : Not sure yet hopefully 40 +

1/4 mile time & 0-60: Don't know, this wasn't about performance for me more about economy and reliability.

Top speed : Still taking it easy, 70+ shouldn't be a problem

Cooling system details - I've used as many of the donor vehicle parts as possible, so I've used the Golf radiator mounted between the chassis rails, see the photos. I manufactured a ducted housing and mounted 2 electric fans on top. Air flow is top to bottom. I originally mounted it too high and at speed it wasn't cooling enough, I've since re fitted and angled it down a lot more and increased the ducting with the ally extension you can see in the photo.

Other non conversion mods: I've also used the Golf servo and master cylinder. I've IRS'd the rear, creative engineering style, manufactured all components my self, started with a late bay rear end, did a lot of measuring, calculating and jig making, stripped the whole lot, made a few adjustments and then reassembled and rewelded the lot into position and hey presto. The front has been moderately lowered to suit the rear. Then there's is all the usual rebuild stuff, chassis repairs, body rears etc. I've also reversed the standard centre seats, and manufactured a rock n roll mechanism for the standard rear bench to use it as a bed.

Approx cost of conversion. Not much actually, I bought the Golf as a runner with Tax n Test. ( and a tank full of diesel!) I've used loads of the Golf bits, Engine obviously, rad and other cooling parts, exhaust parts, bits of wiring etc. I paid 430 for it, and when you take into account what I got for the road tax refund, tank full of diesel, spares sold on eBay and scrap value of the shell, the total of the parts comes to 65! Now there have been quite a few more purchases, stuff like, hoses, sheet steel, box section steel, aluminium, clutch, adapter kit, ( i used the one 13 window delux sells), rad fans, and so on. Obviously the most expensive of this lot was the adapter kit.

This one shows the engine/gearbox assembled just before fitting.
Engine in.

Engine fitted with cross member.

Engine mounts, both manufactured from original Golf mounts.

Rad housing,

Front view with ally extension,

And side view

Access hatch,

The completed, well almost, article,
[/img]
splitbusvanatic
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great First Post.
I've one these engines under my bench.
Once I get my 1.6d running right.
The aaz will be the elephant hiding in the corner n waiting.

Well done on crossing the finishing line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Completed Conversions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: